Looking to hire a specialist in content writing? Not sure the right skills you need in a content writer? Confused whether content writing and content marketing are the same things? Well, let us dissect the complete know-how of content writing in 2023 to help you understand the growing need for this field below.
What is Content Writing?
Before we begin, this blog itself is part of content writing as it talks about the detailed description of a particular topic to explain to the customers and resolve all their possible queries. Let us now begin.
According to global statistics, the marketing department has become a crucial factor in the making or breaking of a brand, throughout its life cycle. Content writing is an integral part of any marketing strategy today. Whether the goal is to improve your online presence while driving up the traffic to your website or to use the right words to entice your social media audience, content writing can do it all.
In business terms, the need for correct content is growing rapidly, especially since the major chunk of businesses globally are looking to either build or improve their online presence. As per statistics, approximately 43% of the current global customers rely on online research on the web and social media before finalizing the purchase of a particular product or service.
Additionally, it is predicted that approximately 22% of retail sales around the world by the year 2023 will be all because of eCommerce alone. Some of the key contributing factors to the constantly increasing global retail sales include the rise in mobile-friendly websites, omnichannel adoption and the power of influencers, and correct social media marketing in general.
Quick Difference between Content Writing and Content Marketing
Confusion about how content writing and content marketing are different is very common nowadays, especially since the demand for both content writing and content marketing is on the rise. However, it is important to understand that both content writing and marketing are actually related. Let us simplify this below.
- Content Marketing is a part of the marketing strategy as a key element wherein it inculcates a complete plan of reaching out to the target audience and generating leads, all based on effective writing and content visuals.
- Content Writing, on the other hand, is the clear execution of the entire content marketing strategy for a brand or business by writing, evaluating, and posting the best-written content in digital form. Here, the requirement of reaching out to the target audience effectively is met using the correct use of words and different types of written content types.
In simple words, both content marketing, and content writing are a part of the overall marketing strategy of a brand. It is important to first align the content marketing strategy with the overall company marketing strategy and then pick the right written content categories, where content writing comes into play.
Currently, the type of content conveyed to the customers via online and offline mediums should comprise three essential elements including the objective, the purpose, and the use case of a product or service. To keep us with the constantly growing digital industry and the movement toward complete digitization in the future, the need for the right delivery of written content for maximum conversion is going up simultaneously.
Let us look at some of the global statistics and updates to strengthen our stance on the effect of correct content writing for your business below,
- Almost 61% of the customers that purchase online wish to confirm their purchase decision only after going through a blog that confirms the use case of the product or service in question.
- At present, 78% of the world’s CMOs are in favor that custom content, both written and visual, is going to be the only marketing technique that is going to be effective shortly.
- As a collective effort of quality and quantity content writing, approximately 70% of the global companies have confirmed an increased rate of lead conversion and better inflow of potential leads into their customer funnel.
- According to the global industry for content marketing, it is projected to witness a growth rate of a minimum of 16% by the end of 2023.
- The Travel and Tourism industry is one of the most important industries to target when it comes to content writing as the storytelling ability of the right content directly resonates with potential customers.
- Freelancing is one of the largest networks of content writers available globally today and the demand for content writers is constantly rising, regardless of the industry or business verticals.
- Gen Z, which comprises almost 40% of the global population is on the lookout for entertaining content which includes well-structured written content.
- Lastly, according to market reports, the cost saving in content marketing is almost 62% less than the common marketing techniques used today, with a guarantee of three times higher conversion through content marketing.
Types of Content Writing
While content writing as a profession is peaking, it is important to know the different types that fall under content writing to help companies achieve their targets the right way. You are required to know what type of content writing you want to work with to grow your business. The different types of content writing are as follows:
One of the most effective content writing types is blogs. According to a report online, a blog post alone is responsible to influence a minimum of 6% of sales. It is commonly added to the website of a brand or company wherein brands talk about relevant content to their products and services to cater to the target audience using effective search engine optimization with the help of relevant keywords.
With over 3.5 billion users worldwide actively interacting and purchasing on social media, it is necessary to research the kind of informative written content to put across in the form of captions to do it right. Thus, social media post copies and captions are one of the most important types of content writing that businesses are seeking help with in today’s digital world.
When it comes to organic marketing, just the right content with the written copy or caption can go a long way. However, paid ads are an integral part of the marketing strategy as they ensure better lead generation and conversion. Similar to social media posts, even paid ads require well-defined sales copy, which is another type of content writing.
The importance of a well-designed website for any brand is at its peak today, especially when e-commerce is rising significantly. Now, the content that goes on each of the website pages and the landing pages of the business also falls under the category of website copy and is a part of content writing types.
Other than these four important types of content writing, reviews or testimonials for websites, technical writing for new-age tools and technologies, white papers and case studies to explain a product or service’s use case, etc., are also some of the types of content writing.
In conclusion, content writing has now successfully become an important subcategory of content marketing and the overall marketing strategy for any brand or business. Content writing gives you the ability to represent your brand in the way the target audience wants to see it. Given how user experience and user preferences are essential in curating a marketing strategy, spending time researching and then writing the most accurate content is what can change the way your business is viewed by its potential target audience. Focus on content quality and not quantity and you will see the difference yourself.